The New York City Council Fellows Program is a one-year paid fellowship for individuals who want to pursue a rewarding career in local government. The program provides fellows with a unique opportunity to work in one of the most diverse and exciting cities in the country. With Council Member district offices in each New York City borough and centralized support divisions located in downtown Manhattan, fellows will participate in many vibrant programs and impactful service-oriented initiatives in both locations.
This fellowship will provide up-close experience in legislative operations, community engagement projects, capital programs, participatory budgeting, public policy and more, helping us to shape the next generation of New York City government leaders.
Fellows Program Year: October 7, 2024 to September 26, 2025
$40,000 to $40,000
- Ability to commit full-time to the one year fellowship.
- Must have completed a bachelor’s degree at time of application submission.
- Must be able to demonstrate their eligibility to work in the United States after graduation and for the entire fellowship period.
- Prior experience in activism, community organizing, development or participation in social movements helpful.
- Demonstrated proficiency in both written and spoken English.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong time and task management skills.
- Working knowledge of computers and related software.
- Highly motivated and independent, yet team-oriented.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
Health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon appointment. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their cover letters and resumes by March 29, 2024:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (Fellow)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.