The New York City Council is New York City’s legislative body. The Council drafts and votes on proposed laws, negotiates the City’s budget with the Mayor, monitors City agencies to make sure they’re effectively serving New Yorkers, and reviews and makes land use decisions on the growth and development of our city.
$81,095 to $81,095
DATA & TECHNOLOGY POLICY ANALYST
The position entails working closely with legislative attorneys, policy analysts, and data scientists to research policy issues and suggest recommendations. This role will have half of the time spent as a policy analyst for the technology committee and the other half for the data team, with opportunities to assist with and perform data analysis.
- Conduct policy research and analysis;
- Manage relationships with stakeholders;
- Assist in the preparation of committee hearings;
- Draft committee and oversight reports;
- Develop data and technology related policy ideas;
- Identify, collect, and analyze data;
- Collaborate with data scientists and policymakers
- Strong interest in technology, data, innovation, and public policy;
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational abilities;
- Ability to communicate clearly, succinctly, logically, and persuasively for policymakers and lay stakeholder audiences;
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently, exercise initiative and follow through to accomplish tasks.
- Ability to adjust priorities and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to problem-solve; have an understanding of and experience using statistics and/or performing data analysis;
- Some programming experience with R, Python, or SQL;
- Familiarity with New York City Government and work in the government or non-profit sector
Preferred qualifications include:
- Graduate degree; preferably in public administration, economics, or science-adjacent fields
- Proficiency with Python or R.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (DTPA)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.