Skip to main content

District 42

Chris Banks

East New York, Spring Creek-Starrett City, Brownsville, East Flatbush, Remsen Village, Canarsie

The City Council has a discretionary funding process and each individual member can fund services, programs, and infrastructure projects for their district. The two forms of discretionary funding are expense funding and capital funding.

  • Expense funding is discretionary funding that supports programs and services.
  • Capital funding is discretionary funding that supports physical infrastructure projects.

These funds are not grants. You must be able to spend the money up front and you will be reimbursed by the City.  To apply, you must fill out an application through the City Council. The expense funding application can be found here and the capital funding application can be found here.

Due Dates for Applications

  • Expense Funding:
    • Tuesday, February 20, 2024
  • Capital Funding:
    • Thursday, February 22, 2024, 5:00pm: applies if your project requests any funding from Borough Presidents (including those groups that are also requesting funding from the Council or Department of Cultural Affairs)
    • Thursday, March 21, 2024, 5:00pm: applies if your project is only requesting funding from the Council and/or the Department of Cultural Affairs

New York City Council Member Christopher Banks of District 42 in
Brooklyn, NY is currently scheduling meetings to discuss requests for
discretionary funding for the 2025 fiscal year. To be eligible to meet with
Council Member Banks or receive discretionary funding you must
first SUBMIT a FY2025 New York City Council Discretionary Funding
Application or be considered a government entity such as Public
Schools, CUNY Schools, NYCHA Tenant Associations, Community
Boards, etc. Requests for a meeting will not be accepted after February
20th, 2024. Note: This request does not guarantee a meeting with the
Council Member. Click here for the supplemental form:

If you have questions, concerns or would like to send additional information and/or documents
relating to this program or form, please email: