Queens, NY – Today, in partnership with Christ Pentecostal Temple, Inc., Speaker Adrienne E. Adams hosted a street co-naming ceremony in honor of Mother Maude Ford and unveiled Mother Maude Ford Way at the intersection of Brinkerhoff Avenue and 157th Street in Jamaica, Queens.
“Mother Maude Ford was a pioneering community and faith leader who personified unwavering tenacity and determination,” said Speaker Adrienne Adams. “Despite the odds, Mother Ford pioneered the building a permanent home for the Christ Pentecostal Temple, which has served the Jamaica community for nearly a century. Her contributions to Southeast Queens extended beyond the walls of the church. Mother Ford’s life and legacy is now recognized through ‘Mother Maude Ford Way,’ a fitting tribute for an influential, impactful, and historic leader in our community. I congratulate the Christ Pentecostal Temple church family on this outstanding accomplishment.”
Mother Ford founded the Christ Pentecostal Temple, Inc., originally named Gospel Truth Tabernacle. The church held its first open-air service in July 1925 before moving to the basement of Mother Ford’s home in Jamaica. By 1950, Mother Ford negotiated the purchase of land and completed construction of a new building that has since served as the home of Christ Pentecostal Temple.
A native of Barbados, Mother Ford lived and worked in Harlem before moving to Jamaica, Queens, where she was a longtime community leader.
Photos from the street co-naming ceremony are available here.
“Pastor Maude Ford, affectionately known as “Mother,” founded Christ Pentecostal Temple in 1926. Through the vision given by God, she poured all into establishing a ministry that would be a soul-saving station for generations to come,” said Deacon Yolanda D. Stukes. “On behalf of Suffragan Bishop Derrick & Lady Janice Farmer, the Board of Trustees, and the Christ Pentecostal Temple church family, we extend our sincerest thanks for joining us in celebrating our founder by co-naming 157th Street as Mother Maude Ford Way. Christ Pentecostal Temple has been a constant pillar in the community for 96 years. We are grateful for all those who have supported this ministry. With the help of the Lord, there is much more to accomplish.”
About Mother Maude Ford:
Mother Maude Ford was born in Barbados on July 27, 1881. She became a dedicated member of the Salvation Army, working first in Harlem in the 1920s with young women. After becoming First Chaplain, she was called to Jamaica, Queens, where she went door to door, serving the needs of the people. Soon, she established a church that held its first open-air service in July 1925. After a fire and then winds tore down the tents, the church moved to the basement of her home at 157-01 110th Avenue in Jamaica, where she lived with her husband John. Her dynamic ministry welcomed people of all races to her church, which grew so quickly that by March 7, 1926, her garage was dedicated as Gospel Truth Tabernacle.
In April 1931, the church was incorporated, and its name was changed to Christ Pentecostal Temple, Inc. Mother Ford, a woman of great faith who was skilled at preaching and healing, drew many followers. By 1950, she negotiated the purchase of land, completed the construction of a new building, and dedicated the current church edifice at 109-45 157th Street, Jamaica, NY.
Mother Maude Ford, the first woman and founding pastor of Christ Pentecostal Temple, was a forceful and beloved presence in the community of Jamaica, until her death on July 26, 1970.