As part of the Speaker’s commitment to fostering diversity, inclusion and equity in tech workforce development, the Council is funding a pilot program geared toward NYCHA residents. Through this funding, Coalition 4 Queens and Per Scholas will provide training in IT infrastructure, cybersecurity, and software development. This training will then be considered as qualifications for hiring in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree by 11 companies who have signed onto the initiative’s pledge. Additional pledge commitments include additional corporate resources to aid curriculum development, continued evaluation of the minimum requirements for technical roles, and development of new practices to increase the retention of diverse talent.
Recent Press Releases
- Statement by Council Speaker Corey Johnson May 14, 2021
- Council Votes to Restrict Use of Plastic Straws and Reduce School Food Waste May 12, 2021
- City Council Announces Legislation to Support Moms and Caregivers in Honor of Mother’s Day May 8, 2021
- Council Votes to Create Retirement Program for Private Sector Employees April 29, 2021
- Statement from Council Speaker Corey Johnson on Chaim Deutsch April 27, 2021