As part of the Speaker’s commitment to fostering diversity, inclusion and equity in tech workforce development, the Council is funding a pilot program geared toward NYCHA residents. Through this funding, Coalition 4 Queens and Per Scholas will provide training in IT infrastructure, cybersecurity, and software development. This training will then be considered as qualifications for hiring in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree by 11 companies who have signed onto the initiative’s pledge. Additional pledge commitments include additional corporate resources to aid curriculum development, continued evaluation of the minimum requirements for technical roles, and development of new practices to increase the retention of diverse talent.
Recent Press Releases
- Council Votes to Pass the “Renewable Rikers” Act February 11, 2021
- Speaker Johnson and Immigration Committee Chair Menchaca Release Letter to Homeland Security Secretary Mayorkas Calling for Dismissal of the ICE New York Field Office Director February 3, 2021
- Speaker Johnson and Majority Leader Cumbo Joint Statement on Spice Factory Rezoning February 1, 2021
- City Council Unveils Legislative Plans to Redefine Public Safety and Strengthen Police Accountability January 29, 2021
- Council Votes to Reform Street Vendor System January 28, 2021