As part of the Speaker’s commitment to fostering diversity, inclusion and equity in tech workforce development, the Council is funding a pilot program geared toward NYCHA residents. Through this funding, Coalition 4 Queens and Per Scholas will provide training in IT infrastructure, cybersecurity, and software development. This training will then be considered as qualifications for hiring in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree by 11 companies who have signed onto the initiative’s pledge. Additional pledge commitments include additional corporate resources to aid curriculum development, continued evaluation of the minimum requirements for technical roles, and development of new practices to increase the retention of diverse talent.
Recent Press Releases
- Statement from Council Speaker Corey Johnson on the Passing of Former Mayor David Dinkins November 24, 2020
- Council Votes on Bills to Fight Age Discrimination November 19, 2020
- Statement from Speaker Corey Johnson on Public School Closures November 18, 2020
- Joint Statement from Council Speaker Corey Johnson and Education Committee Chair Mark Treyger November 13, 2020
- Speaker Corey Johnson and Oversight and Investigations Chair Ritchie Torres Announce Report on NYPD Official Inappropriate Online Behavior November 6, 2020