The New York City Council is seeking a Senior Speech Writer to join its Communications Division. The Senior Speechwriter will work closely with the City Council Speaker, senior staff, members of the Communications Division, staff from the Legislative, Land Use and Finance divisions, as well as other Council Members, to prepare event remarks, speeches, op-eds, and testimony highlighting and promoting City Council priorities and initiatives.
$115,000 to $135,000
- Review written briefs and meet with stakeholders to discuss specifics that provide details to guide the development of remarks, speeches, and other written materials.
- Develop op-eds, prepared remarks, speeches, and talking points that concisely and persuasively convey core ideas and messages.
- Manage completion and submission of outlines and drafts of written products, incorporating rounds of feedback and revisions to meet deadlines for approval.
- Perform extensive research on various topics, facts, and statistics to be used in messaging, as well as written materials and products.
- Adopt and internalize author or speakers’ voices in message, tone, cadence, and word usage, utilizing past scripts, speeches or writings.
- Ensure remarks and speeches are conversational, audience-appropriate, and clearly communicate desired messages to achieve the speaker’s objectives.
- Support effective delivery of speeches, and the incorporation of cues, props, and visual aids for speeches.
- Lead and participate in speech rehearsal sessions, where required, providing feedback to improve effective delivery.
- Develop messaging and talking points in partnership with the Communications Division to advance message consistency for all communications.
- Draft, edit and proofread various written documents.
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in Journalism, English, Literature, Communications, creative writing, or a similar discipline.
- Master’s degree preferred but not required.
- Superb writing with strong verbal skills. Multilingual skills are a plus.
- A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in communications or writing-intensive roles, especially those with a focus on external audiences.
- Excellent understanding of public speaking and persuasive speech and writing.
- Excellent analytical, observation, and research skills.
- Significant legislative, government and/or public affairs experience is preferred.
- Computer proficiency (MS Office, digital editing, web search and databases).
- Excellent attention to detail, and ability to follow strict deadlines and fact-check information.
- Creative thinker with a sense of humor.
- Self-starter who consistently shows initiative, determination and assertiveness.
- Ability to effectively work with a team and independently, and capable of interacting with a broad range of individuals.
- Experience supervising and managing competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of New York City and experience working with diverse communities.
- Due to the nature of this position, individuals will occasionally be required to work various shifts such as weekends and/or evening shifts.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
As of November 15, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus to work at City Hall and/or 250 Broadway offices, or at any Council Member district office, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the New York City Council, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the New York City Council.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their cover letter indicating your match to the stated job requirements; your resume; and a writing sample (e.g., digital/social media content), or an example of a digital communications plan:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (SrSpch)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy