The New York City Council, an equal opportunity employer, is seeking a Senior Planner to work in its Planning & Land Use Division. Candidates must have a high degree of independence, professionalism, and expertise in managing complex projects.
$80,000 to $95,000
Under the supervision of the Director and Deputy Directors:
- Manages, tracks and produces deliverables within timelines for Planning & Land Use applications.
- Leads communication related to land use applications with Council Members, internal and external parties.
- Collects and analyzes data and research related to projects or policy development.
- Supports and/or supervises Division Project Managers and Community Planners.
- Takes a leadership role on a particular policy area and/or policy projects including helping manage research, reports, legislation and hearings.
- Takes leadership over content direction within their assigned geographies.
- Participates and leads community engagement activities and planning studies including producing deliverables for public meetings, leading discussions and presentations at public meetings.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university.
- Master’s Degree in urban planning, policy and/or architecture is preferred.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience in land use, zoning and/or planning or 6 years of experience if the candidate does not have a Master’s Degree in urban planning, policy and/or architecture.
- Excellent analytical, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, able to work with multiple deadlines and possess strong organizational abilities.
- Familiarity with the New York City Zoning resolution and the Uniform Land Use Review Procedures.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (PLUSP)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.