|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Quantitative Policy Analyst||Work Hours||9:00am to 5:00pm|
|Number of Positions||5||Close Date||Until Filled|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The New York City Council is seeking data scientists to serve as quantitative policy analysts within the Legislative Division. Responsibilities will include acquiring, cleaning and analyzing data from public sources, review and analysis of agency reports, and the creation of visualizations and reports of findings and recommendations. Quantitative policy analysts will work closely with Legislative Attorneys and Policy Analysts to analyze legal and policy issues.
The ideal candidate would possess a B.S. or M.S. in Statistics, Data Analytics, Computer Science, Physics, Biology, Economics, Chemistry, or similar physical science. Candidates must have experience applying peer review quality statistics and analysis to poorly behaved data sets. Preference given to those with existing peer reviewed scientific publications.
Other requirements include:
- The ideal candidate has experience in NLP, image Processing, clustering, decision trees/random forests, statistical analysis, data cleaning, and general knowledge of machine learning.
- Experience in time series analysis and geographic analysis/visualizations
- Candidates must be experienced in Python or R, with knowledge of SQL.
- Agility to adjust priorities and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to translate business needs and inquiries into data oriented tasks
- Strong collaborative and communication skills, with the ability to deliver data analysis in a manner comprehensible to the general public
- Ability to draw conclusions from data and recommend actions
- Strong understanding of bias and how bias is induced in data, and through data analysis
- Strong desire to improve their community
New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/QPA
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER