|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Mailroom Assistant / Messenger||Work Hours||9:00am to 5:00pm|
|Division||Administrative Services||Open Date|
|Number of Positions||1||Close Date||Until Filled|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The New York City Council’s Administrative Services division is seeking to fill the position of Mailroom Assistant/Messenger. Under general supervision, the Mailroom Assistant/Messenger is primarily responsible for all mail, packages and interoffice correspondence handling and dispatching for all classes of mail/packages. This position will require travel within New York City.
Other duties for the position include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Package and process outgoing overnight items, i.e. Federal Express, UPS, etc., to meet deadlines. Log and deliver incoming overnight packages within established timeframes.
- Provide reception work such as answering telephones, taking messages and greeting visitors.
- Assist with projects utilizing copying machines, faxes, document scanning, shipping equipment, etc.
- Handles special runs with respect to bank deposits, contracts and payroll.
- As needed, assists the Facilities Unit with transporting equipment, furniture and paper throughout facilities and in off-site offices. Perform inventory on surplus equipment and furniture. Move boxes, supplies or furniture; replace light bulbs.
- Accept delivery and storage of large purchase such as paper and computer supplies.
- Identification card processing and other related support, as needed.
High School diploma or equivalent education/experience; ability to organize and prioritize tasks assigned; ability and commitment to learn new material quickly and upgrade skills; self-starter with the ability to work independently and within a team. Must be familiar with the geographic area and know the fastest routes, and be able to maneuver through heavy urban congestion; detail oriented and creative thinker, with strong communication skills.
New York City Residency required within 90 days of appointment.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/MAIL
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER