The New York City Council’s Planning & Land Use Division plays a critical role in in the land use process in the City of New York and is seeking to fill its General Counsel Position.
- Act as the chief legal officer within the Planning & Land Use Division which directs and coordinates legal and legislative Planning & Land Use matters under the jurisdiction of the City Council pursuant to the New York City Charter and Administrative Code, and New York State law.
- Performs all legal activities for the Planning & Land Use Division; represents the City Council in dealing with Corporation Counsel, Office of the Mayor, city, state and federal entities; land use applicants and other organizations on legal and legislative matters relating to land use issues and applications.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with all legal requirements, procedures and mandates for all land use actions taken by the City Council, including application review, and drafting of City Council resolutions; provides analysis and interpretation of the New York City Zoning Resolution, the New York City Charter, Administrative Code and Building and Fire Codes, and State and Federal laws as needed in relation to land use matters.
- Assist in the conduct of City Council hearings by Planning & Land Use and its subcommittees.
- Supervision of Planning & Land Use staff – directs, coordinates and reviews the activities of the Planning & Land Use Legal staff; counsels the Council Members and staff on legal issues; drafts legislation, and reviews new or proposed legislation which affects land use.
- Applicants must possess a J. D. from an accredited school of law and be admitted to practice law in New York State.
- Minimum of two years of experience in land use, zoning and/or planning is required.
- Strong working knowledge of government, the legislative process and familiarity with New York City and State law.
- Applicants must possess excellent writing, legal research and analytical skills, strong communication and organizational abilities.
- Applicants must be detail-oriented and able to work under tight, and shifting, deadlines.
- Knowledge of New York City Zoning Resolution is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the City and State environmental quality review law is a plus.
New York City residency is required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (LUGC)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.