The New York City Council, an equal opportunity employer, is seeking an attorney to serve as Legislative Counsel to the Committee on Governmental Operations in the Legislative Division.
73,000 to 92,000
- Drafting local legislation.
- Conducting legal research, analyzing legal and policy issues.
- Overseeing legislation as it moves through the legislative process.
- Advising Council Members and their staff.
- Working with various stakeholders outside of the Council.
- Staffing one or more Council committees, including the committee on Governmental Operations.
- Preparing, organizing committee hearings, drafting committee reports and committee briefing papers.
- Applicants must be admitted to the New York State Bar or must be in the process of applying for admission.
- Must possess superior writing, research, and analytical skills.
- Strong communication, organizational abilities, and excellent academic credentials.
- Must use discretion and judgment when necessary to handle confidential information and to interact successfully with elected officials and a variety of other stakeholders.
- Hard-working, detail-oriented and committed to public interest work.
- Ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines, client-oriented, and a team player.
- General computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Outlook and Word.
- Proficiency with Westlaw is strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with New York City government is a plus.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (GOLC)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.