|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Economist||Work Hours||9:00AM to 5:00PM|
|Number of Positions||1||Close Date||Until Filled|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The New York City Council’s Finance division is seeking to fill the position of Economist.
Key responsibilities include:
• Working with the other members of the Economics and Revenue Unit to monitor the City’s taxes, analyze changes in tax policy, and in the legislative work related to these taxes.
• Forecasting the City’s economy and tax revenues as part of the forecast team.
• Preparing reports and analyses on budget and fiscal matters for Council budget, legislative, oversight, and other committee hearings.
• Prepare fiscal analyses for proposed legislation and on special research questions as directed by the Finance Division Director and/or Deputy Director/Chief Economist.
• Staying informed on a broad range of urban public policy and economic issues.
• Presenting to Council Members and staff on key budget and agency issues.
• Advising elected officials and senior staff on the economy, budget and policy.
Master’s Degree or more advanced degree in Economics, Public Administration, Urban Planning, or similar field with a quantitative background including regression analysis. Must have a balance of strong quantitative and qualitative skills. Strong writing and public presentation skills. Ability to explain technical economic or fiscal matters in a clear and concise manner. Interest in public policy evidenced through employment, internships, volunteer work or course work. Ability to prepare and work with data using software such as E-Views, SPSS, STATA or R. Familiarity with reading and analyzing legislation or legal analysis a plus. Analyze economic, budget, and public policy issues within the framework of the laws and institutions which govern the New York City budget. Ability to communicate their analysis effectively with elected officials and senior staff.
New York City Residency is required within 90 days of appointment.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/ECON
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER