The New York City Council’s Finance division is seeking to fill an Economics & Tax Policy Analyst position in the Revenue & Economics Unit.
$66,950 to $75,000
- Working with the other members of the Revenue and Economics Unit to monitor the City’s taxes, analyze changes in tax policy, and in the legislative work related to these taxes.
- Forecasting the City’s economy and tax revenues as part of the forecast team.
- Preparing reports and analyses on economic, tax policy, and fiscal matters for Council budget, legislative, oversight, and other committee hearings.
- Prepare fiscal and economic analyses for proposed legislation and on special research questions as directed by the Finance Division Director, Deputy Director and/or Chief Economist.
- Staying informed on a broad range of urban public policy and economic issues.
- Presenting to Council Members and staff on key tax policy and economic issues.
- Advising elected officials and senior staff on the economy, budget and policy matters.
- Master’s degree in public policy, economics, urban planning, business, public administration, or a similar field highly preferred.
- Demonstrated interest in public service evidenced through employment, internships, volunteer work, or course work.
- Strong writing, public presentation, and quantitative skills including regression and data analysis.
- Ability to explain technical economic or fiscal matters in a clear and concise manner.
- Computer skills including the ability to prepare and work with data using software such as E-Views, SPSS, SQL, ArcGIS, and/or R.
- Knowledge and experience in tracking economic data and working with survey data.
- Familiarity with reading and analyzing legislation or legal analysis a plus.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (Econ)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.