|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Designer/Front End Developer||Work Hours||9 am – 5 pm|
|Division||Legislative||Open Date||04/01/ 2019|
|Number of Positions||1||Close Date||Until Filled|
Duties and Responsibilities
The New York City Council is seeking a designer/developer to join our team to improve lives of New Yorkers through innovating the law-making process. If you are passionate about public engagement and people-focused design, you’re in the right place.
We’re looking for someone with front end web development experience to design, maintain, code, test and debug front end applications to innovate NYC’s law making process. Front end designer will participate in the research, planning and execution of Agile sprints, utilizing best practices to achieve secure, well documented and user-friendly applications.
Designer/developer will seek new and innovative ways to facilitate public engagement with NYC’s law-making process.
Designer/developer will work closely with small team of developers and data scientists to create user-focused design and to craft data products and visualizations that create dialogue between citizens and government.
This role will take product and app ideas from concepts, to research and wireframing, and finally to production.
Candidates should hold a B.A. or B.S. Applicants must possess strong communication and organizational abilities. The ideal candidate will have 2+ years of experience in front end web application design and development.
Further requirements include:
- A portfolio demonstrating experience in UX/UI design
- Passion for user-centered design to bring diverse voices to the forefront
- HTML5, CSS3, PHP, JS/ES6 – 9
- Experience using WordPress
- Experience using versioning control tools (Git) is necessary
- Ability to adjust priorities and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong collaborative and communication skills
- New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
- Experience using tools like Adobe Illustrator, Zeplin, or Sketch
- Experience in front end frameworks like Backbone, React, Angular, etc.
- Familiarity with testing
- Accessibility design
- Familiarity with NYC public policy
More info about the New York City Council Data Team
How to Apply
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter, resume and portfolio to:
New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/QPA
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER