|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Data Scientist||Work Hours||9am-5pm|
|Division||Legislative||Open Date||01/ 10 / 20|
|Number of Positions||2||Close Date||Until Filled|
NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL
The New York City Council is the New York City’s legislative body. The Council drafts & votes on proposed laws, negotiates the City’s budget with the Mayor, monitors City agencies to make sure they’re effectively serving New Yorkers and reviews and makes land use decisions on the growth and development of our city.
The mission of the Data Team is to promote a data-driven approach to the Council’s decision-making process in order to improve the lives of New Yorkers. The Data Team assists legislative staff in developing policy ideas that are driven by data, technology, & science. The Data Team is also responsible for reviewing proposed laws that report data and for leveraging data to create powerful visual narratives used in oversight hearings. The Data Team is in the initial stages of building data products & tools for Council staff. The Data Team’s main data sources are open datasets (NYC Open Data Portal, Census, USGS, etc.). Other sources include data reporting requirements and data requested from agencies.
Visit https://council.nyc.gov/data/ to learn more about their work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The New York City Council is looking for motivated and curious Data Scientist(s) to join the Data Team. The position entails working closely with legislative attorneys and policy analysts to research policy issues, and suggest recommendations. In addition to supporting the team build & deploy data products & tools, the Data Scientist(s) will perform data cleaning & validation, conduct exploratory analysis, provide statistical inferences, develop models, and visualize and present findings and insights.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have strong quantitative and problem-solving skills
- Adjust priorities and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Work both independently and cooperatively
- Exercise initiative and follow through to accomplish tasks
- Communicate and visualize results to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Have a strong desire to improve the community and interest in policy and/or how the city and government works
Basic qualifications include:
- Bachelors degree from an accredited university in a quantitative discipline or 2+ years of quantitative experience
- 2+ years of experience with R or Python
- Experience building interactive visualizations and data products (Dash, RShiny, etc.)
- Experience visualizing spatial analyses (e.g. ggplot2, leaflet, Folium, etc.)
- Knowledge of spatial statistics (e.g. interpolation methods, spatial autocorrelation)
Preferred qualifications include:
- Graduate degree from an accredited university in statistics, a physical science, computer science or other quantitative discipline
- Experience with web scraping
- Experience in government and/or with policy
- Development experience, including building or reverse-engineering API’s and building data products that rely on AWS and/or SQL
New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/DataOp
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER