The New York City Council, an equal opportunity employer, is seeking a Community Planner to serve in the Planning and Land Use Division.
- Assist the Director and Deputy Directors of the Planning and Land Use Division, to analyze development proposals and lead planning studies across a range of topics.
- Assist Deputy Director, Council Members and other Council staff with community planning and policy initiatives.
- Provide technical assistance to Council Members and their staff on land use applications under Council review.
- Work closely and collaboratively with supported communities, and Council Members and staff to assist in the development of plans and other documents that are responsive to and reflective of the needs and interests of residents, and community members.
- Identify and track short-term, long-term, and evolving trends relevant to planning efforts and report on these trends to the wider team.
- Master’s degree required with a focus on urban planning or public policy.
- At least two years of experience in urban planning.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Illustrator and InDesign.
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS.
- Multilingual a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability and desire to communicate effectively with people of all ages from diverse ethnic, socioeconomic, and gender backgrounds.
- A passion to elevate the voice of the public to develop meaningful recommendations in planning efforts.
- Ability to effectively navigate challenging conversations and manage conflict.
- Comfort speaking in front of large groups and communicating with high profile elected officials.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Commitment to public service.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at once.
- Desire to take initiative.
- Enjoys working within a team as well as on their own.
- Knowledge of planning issues facing New York City.
- Ability to center equity as a guiding principle in all work.
New York City residency is required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (PLUCP)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.