The New York City Council is seeking a Communications Officer to join its Communications Division. The position will assist the division’s digital and traditional media efforts to effectively promote the City Council’s priorities and support Council Members. They will work with staff across the Communications Division to develop traditional and digital media materials and support the execution of diverse communications strategies. The Communications Officer will play a key role in supporting the division, collaborating with staff from the Legislative, Land Use and Finance divisions.
$50,000 to $60,000
- Providing strategic communications support for digital and traditional media efforts.
- Supporting the development of traditional media materials, including drafting and editing briefing documents, talking points, media advisories, press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor.
- Developing social media and web content in support of the digital team, including the development and use of copy, graphics, video, and other media.
- Assist staff across the Communications Division to effectively perform its core responsibilities and day-to-day operations.
- Attend hearings and meetings on behalf of the Communications Division and staff, providing overview reports.
- Monitor news and social media, identifying emerging issues of relevance for the entire team, and developing portfolio-specific clips reports for press secretaries and other staff.
- Build and update press lists, monitoring areas of coverage by specific reporters.
- Performing other duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 to 4 years of experience in media relations, communications, government, public affairs, or a related field.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with an attention to detail and the ability to synthesize complex information for general audiences.
- Prior New York City media, government, legislative, and/or public affairs experience is strongly preferred.
- Skills and experience developing and supporting digital and traditional media efforts.
- Experience simultaneously managing multiple projects and competing priorities in an effective way.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, often under short and shifting deadlines and in high-pressure situations.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours. Team members will be required to be on-call nights, early mornings, weekends, and on holidays, as necessary.
- Ability to effectively work with a team and independently, and capable of interacting with a broad range of individuals.
- Proficiency in the English language.
- Written and verbal fluency in at least one non-English language highly desired, but not required.
- Creative thinker with a sense of humor and ability to be flexible.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
As of November 15, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus to work at City Hall and/or 250 Broadway offices, or at any Council Member district office, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the New York City Council, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the New York City Council.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their cover letter indicating your match to the stated job requirements; your resume; and a writing sample (e.g., traditional/digital/social media content) to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (COFF)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.