The New York City Council, an equal opportunity employer, is seeking a Chief Economist to serve in the Finance Division.
$150,000 to $200,000
- Serve as an economic leader to the Council’s Finance Division, Speaker’s Office, and Council Members on local and national economic conditions, tax and public policy, capital financing, pension funding, and legislative matters.
- Prepare and present educational briefings, reports, and other public and internal documents as needed.
- Support the oversight of the Finance Division’s quarterly econometrically driven economic and tax forecasts.
- Coordinate the monitoring of local and national economic conditions.
- Assist legal counsels with negotiations, drafting, and analysis of tax policy and other finance committee legislation.
- Lead special economic and tax policy research projects.
- Mentor staff economists, including leading professional and skills development work.
- Must have a completed PhD in economics and at least 5 years’ experience as an economist.
- Demonstrated track record explaining technical economic or fiscal matters in a concise and accessible manner.
- Excellent writing and public presentation skills, with strong quantitative and qualitative abilities.
- Demonstrated interest in public policy evidenced through work experience, research or teaching.
- Must be detail oriented and able to work under tight and shifting deadlines.
- Prior experience with economic and tax revenue forecasting is a plus but is not required.
- Prior experience in government, advocacy, or policy analysis is a plus.
- Prior experience familiarity with reading and analyzing legislation or legal analysis is also a plus.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
For eligible employees, health, dental and vision insurance coverage are offered upon hire. Retirement plans, deferred compensation plans, group life insurance, paid time off and paid holidays, training resources, health & fitness reimbursement and wellness programs are also available.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (ECON)
250 Broadway, 26th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.