|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Chief Data Scientist/Quantitative Policy Analyst||Work Hours||9:00am to 5:00pm|
|Division||Policy & Innovation||Open Date||01/10/18|
|Number of Positions||1||Close Date||Until Filled|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Act as Chief Data Scientist to oversee, manage, and lead the day-to-day operations and staff. Build and execute educational trainings.
- Execute complex analysis including but not limited to; time series, geographic, and machine learning.
- Apply statistics properly (peer review quality) to non-normal and poorly behaved data sets.
- Must be an avid programmer in R or willing to learn at accelerated rate.
- Own responsibility and quality for all analysis and products generated by the team.
- Work directly with superiors and staff to accomplish their data goals and needs.
- Work with Information Technology to keep up to date on tech needs and updates.
- Work with Central Staff to grow Data Operations and its mission.
The ideal candidate would possess a M.S. or PhD in Physics, Biology, Economics, Chemistry, Computer Science, or similar physical science. Candidates must be able to apply peer review quality statistics and analysis to poorly behaved data sets. Candidates must be proficient in the R programming language, or willing/able to learn it at an accelerated rate. Preference given to those with existing peer reviewed scientific publications.
Other requirements include:
- Experience implementing data analysis including but not limited to; time series, geographic, and machine learning;
- Ability to teach data analysis techniques in an engaging and professional manner and conduct independent research; and
- Ability to work efficiently with many divisions/staff and others, in a political and dynamic environment.
New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/ChiefDS
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER