|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||Assistant Counsel||Work Hours||9:00AM to 5:00PM|
|Number of Positions||1||Close Date||Until Filled|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The New York City Council, the City’s legislative body, is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Counsel in the Finance Division.
The Council’s Finance Division is a team of analysts, attorneys, economists, and administrative staff who provide Council Members with research on budgetary actions and their fiscal impact. They also work with Council Members to monitor and evaluate agency spending. The Council’s Finance Committee plays an important role in the budget negotiating process by advocating for the needs of New Yorkers and overseeing the hearing process. The Finance Committee also has oversight jurisdiction over the Department of Finance, the Banking Commission, the Comptroller’s Office, and the Department of Design and Construction. The Subcommittee on Capital Budget, a subcommittee of the Finance Committee, has oversight jurisdiction over the City’s capital process and the Department of Design and Construction.
The responsibilities of this position include:
- Drafting legislation requested by the Speaker and other Council Members for consideration by the Finance Committee and the Subcommittee on Capital Budget;
- Drafting briefing papers and opening statements for the Finance Committee and Subcommittee on Capital Budget oversight, budget, and legislative hearings;
- Conducting research on relevant issues, including, but not limited to, the Council’s budgetary authority, tax policy, and public finance;
- Preparing briefing materials for the chairs of the Finance Committee and the Subcommittee on Capital Budget;
- Conducting Finance Committee and Subcommittee on Capital Budget hearings;
- Reviewing Fiscal Impact Statements for all legislation voted on by the Council; and
- Advising Council Members and staff on the legality of tax policy and other proposals related to the oversight jurisdictions of the Finance Committee and Subcommittee on Capital Budget.
J.D. from an accredited school of law. Admission to the New York State Bar with at least 2 years of relevant post-law school work experience. Prior government and/or legislative drafting experience and a familiarity with New York City government is strongly preferred. Strong research, writing, and organizational skills and the ability to multi-task on multiple projects with varying deadlines. Ability to work well in a team and with colleagues who have a variety of professional backgrounds and discipline
New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
New York City Council
Attn: Recruiting Unit/ASTCNSL
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER