The New York City Council, the City’s legislative body, is seeking to fill the position of Assistant Counsel to the Finance Committee.
$80,000 to $100,000
The Council’s Finance Committee plays an important role in the budget negotiating process by advocating for the needs of New Yorkers and overseeing the hearing process. The Finance Committee also has oversight jurisdiction over the Department of Finance, the Banking Commission, the Comptroller’s Office, and the Department of Design and Construction. The Subcommittee on Capital Budget, a subcommittee of the Finance Committee, has oversight jurisdiction over the City’s capital process and the Department of Design and Construction.
- Drafting legislation requested by the Speaker and other Council Members for consideration by the Finance Committee;
- Drafting briefing papers and opening statements for the Finance Committee oversight, budget, and legislative hearings;
- Preparing briefing materials for the chair of the Finance Committee;
- Conducting Finance Committee hearings;
- Reviewing Fiscal Impact Statements for all legislation voted on by the Council; and
- Advising Council Members and staff on the legality of proposals related to the oversight jurisdictions of the Finance Committee.
- Occasionally working on the weekends and/or during the evening hours.
- Must possess a J.D. from an accredited law school and admitted to practice law in New York State.
- A minimum of five to ten years of relevant post law school work experience, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Prior government and/or legislative drafting experience and a familiarity with New York State and City government is strongly preferred).
- Strong research, writing, and organizational skills and the ability to multi-task on multiple projects with varying deadlines.
- Ability to work well in a team and with colleagues who have a variety of professional backgrounds and discipline.
New York City residency required within 90 days of appointment.
As of November 15, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus to work at City Hall and/or 250 Broadway offices, or at any Council Member district office, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered employment with the New York City Council, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the New York City Council.
The New York City Council makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact EEOOfficer@council.nyc.gov.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates should forward their resume and a cover letter to:
MAIL: New York City Council
Attn: Personnel Services/Recruiting (ASTCNSL)
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, New York 10007
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The New York City Council is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual’s sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.