|NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL JOB POSTING|
|Position||LGBT Liaison||Work Hours||9:00AM – 5:00PM|
|Division||Community Engagement||Open Date||December 13, 2016|
|Number of Positions||1||Close Date||Until Filled|
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The New York City Council Community Engagement Division is looking for a Community Liaison to the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Community. This liaison will also be assigned to other issue areas within the City Council.
The Community Engagement Division fosters relationships between the Speaker’s Office, Council Members, and the various constituencies that make up New York City. The Division is comprised of three units: Correspondence Services, Community Outreach, and Events & Production Services.
The Community Outreach Unit (COU) is a group of organizers, researchers and experts from various fields. They work to improve the flow of information between outside community and advocacy groups, the Speaker’s Office and Council members. COU works to advance the priorities of the Council, in tandem and partnership, with the Council’s other Divisions. The unit also conducts outreach for events and parades.
- Employee will serve as the Speaker’s Liaison to the LGBT community throughout the city;
- Attend events and develop relationships with leaders in the LGBT community;
- Develop a growing list of relevant contacts within LGBT community;
- Staff and support the Speaker in meetings, events and parades relevant to the LGBT community and/or other assigned issues;
- Participate in relevant cross-divisional Taskforces within the City Council;
- Help plan and organize City Council events, including Chamber Events, Roundtables, Forums etc.;
- Prepare bi-weekly reports of their work.
The ideal candidate will have an educational background in public policy, community organizing or a related area, and two to five years of experience in community outreach work. A bachelor’s degree is preferred. Experience working in New York City’s LGBT communities required. Knowledge of Microsoft Excel (intermediate or advanced), Microsoft Word, Microsoft Access, and Power Point. Candidates with proficiency in Spanish strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary commensurate with experience.
New York City Residency Required within 90 Days of Appointment
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should forward a cover letter and resume to:
New York City Council
Attn: Administrative Services/Recruiting Unit
250 Broadway, 16th Floor
New York, NY 10007
FAX: (212) 791-5266
While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
THE NEW YORK CITY COUNCIL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER